We are pleased that you are considering the Queen's Same Day Surgery Center for your care. We realize that even elective surgery can make you feel uneasy. Our goal is to make your surgical experience as comfortable as possible by offering the highest quality of care and excellent service in a pleasant, personalized setting for patients whose surgical treatment does not require a hospital stay.
The Queen’s Same Day Surgery Center is committed to incorporating the values of Lokomaikai, or inner health, as a part of your care. We believe in Queen's C.A.R.E. values of Compassion, Aloha, Respect and Excellence. The Same Day Surgery Center also believes in Queen’s Guiding Principles of care, which are: patient and family centered, culturally sensitive, collaborative and emphasizes education.
Many types of procedures are performed at the Queen's Same Day Surgery Center and are available to patients over one year old to adulthood.
- Cataract & Eye Surgery
- Hand & Foot Surgery
- Knee & Shoulder Surgery
- Breast Surgery
- Gynecology Surgery
- Pain Management Procedures
- Other Minimally Invasive Surgeries
Thank you for allowing us to care for you.
A Preop Nurse will attempt to call you to review your medical history and instructions.
- What to bring to SDS: Identification and insurance information
- Arrival time: In order to prepare you for surgery, please report to the hospital 2 hours before your scheduled surgery time.
- Food: DO NOT eat or drink anything after MIDNIGHT prior to your surgery unless otherwise instructed by your doctor. No chewing gum or candy/mints are allowed. Your surgery may be cancelled or delayed if these instructions are not followed. Unless otherwise instructed by your doctor, you typically will maintain a normal diet the day before surgery.
- Medications: If instructed to take medications on the day of your surgery, then take medication with a small sip of water. Bring your current medication list, including dosages.
- Valuables: Avoid bringing jewelry or money.
- Removable items: Contacts, eyeglasses, jewelry/body piercings, dentures, hairpieces and hearing aids must be removed prior to surgery. Bring an appropriate storage container. Notify your admission nurse if you have any of these items.
- Ride: You must arrange for a ride home after surgery. You may not drive yourself home. Provide ride contact information to your admission nurse.
- Health: If you have a change in your general health such as a cold, flu, persistent cough, fever or runny nose, call your surgeon as soon as possible. If you have an injury, rash or infection to the area of surgery, then also notify your surgeon.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol the day before surgery.
- Do not apply lotions, powders or perfume/cologne.
- Avoid wearing nail polish and excessive make-up.
During the time you are in surgery, your visitors may wait in the waiting area. Visitors are welcome to stay with you before and after surgery.
Parking & Directions
Self-parking is available for patients and visitors at the Miller Street Garage and the Physicians’ Office Building I located at 1380 Lusitana Street. Validation for free self-parking is available on your day of admission and discharge only. Valet parking is available for patients at the Same Day Surgery Entrance. Validated rates apply.
To the Queen’s Same Day Surgery Center from Punchbowl Street
- Enter from Punchbowl St. to the patient pick-up, drop-off area or Miller Garage Parking Garage
- SDS entrance is located to the left of the main lobby
From the Physicians’ Office Building I Garage
- Take elevator to the 1st level and follow the long hallway to The Queen’s Medical Center
- Turn right at the end of the hallway
- Pass the Queen Emma Tower elevators, then turn left
- Turn Right immediately and follow the hallway (with the wood floor) until you reach end
- Turn Left and take the Pauahi Elevators to the Ground Floor.
- Exit left from the elevators
- Exit the building and turn right. SDS Entrance will be on your right
To expedite your service, please call to pre-register at (808) 691-4960
Mondays – Fridays 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Saturdays 8:00 – 12:00
Please have your insurance information ready.
As a courtesy to patients with medical insurance coverage, The Queen’s Medical Center will submit a claim to your insurance company. Not all insurance companies pay in full. You may be responsible for the amount not covered by your insurance. You may receive a call from the Registration Department to discuss your estimated insurance coverage and the estimated cost to you.
Lasik–Clear Vision in Your Future
New Treatment Slows Age Related Blindness
What to Expect on the Day of Surgery
Download a Map to this Department